What To Expect After an Adjustment of Status
Are you filing for adjustment of status and have more questions about what to expect after an adjustment of status? Contact our attorney now!
Working While an Adjustment Application is Pending
- After a 60 day period you are usually issued a work permit once an application for adjustment of status is pending.
Filing a Work Authorization Form by Marriage
- It is a good thing to complete because the work authorization document resembles a NJ drivers license and can be used as identification.
- You will be able to apply for a social security number, and gain a driver’s license.
- This also gives the ability to work outside the home if that person change their mind.
Filing an Adjustment of Status through Marriage of a U.S. Citizen
- You must enter the US lawfully.
- Your spouse-to-be must be a US Citizen, not a Green Card holder.
- You must demonstrated that you have a job and are working.
Requirements to File an I-751 Petition
- You must convert your two year Green Card into a permanent 10 year Green Card.
- You must file 90 days prior to your conditional Green Card expiration date.
- You must prove your marriage is legitimate by joint documentation.
Abusive Spouse Won’t File the I-751 Form
- Their is a waiver for the I-751 that allows you to bypass the joint signature needed to complete the form. You will need to document the reason for the waiver.
- Once you complete the waiver, you will also need to submit evidence of the abuse by either phones, hospital records, or affidavits. You will also need to prove that the marriage was made in good faith and not just for citizenship.
Loss of Green Card Conditions Based on Divorce
- You can file a petition to convert a two year conditional Green Card into a I-751.
- You must prove that you had a bonafide marriage with joint issued documentation after the divorce.
Determining Qualifications of Your Employer for Green Card Sponsorship
- Your employer must show that they have been unable to find a qualified U.S worker.
- Your employer must be able to prove they can pay your wages with their taxes.
Are you filing for adjustment of status and have more questions about what to expect after an adjustment of status? Contact our dedicated and experienced New Jersey Adjustment of Status Lawyer for legal aid and a confidential consultation.
Subscribe to Our YouTube Channel